Wednesday, December 14, 2011

I was on a road trip with Kasia and my phone constantly running out of power. Early one morning we had stopped on the side of the road and I ran across the street to the supermarket while Kasia waited in the car. I had a coupon for a free carton of cigarettes with the purchase of a carton and the lady helping me seemed confused about how to handle it. I scanned the various brands and decided it best to go with Marlboro reds since they would be the easiest to resell. The saleswoman disappeared and I was left standing there for around (what seemed like) ten minutes before becoming impatient and asking someone else to assist me.

Moments later an old school friend Craig L. approached me wearing the supermarkets uniform and I could tell he recognized me but was too busy to say hello. He looked annoyed and must have felt bad for my situation because he grabbed a large box of cigarettes off the shelf and handed them to me, saying "here, just
take these."

I could immediately tell there were more than 20 packs inside and I blurted out "Are you sure?" but he was gone before I could get an answer. On my way out I noticed that some of the packs were in rough shape and some were even opened with cigarettes falling out of them and I figured this was supposed to be a return box. Plus they were Marlboro Lights (which looked more like Benson & Hedges) so I was worried they would be harder to resell.

Next, we were riding on a little train that ran along a track about 20 feet off the ground. It ran through a forest and along the way we passed some amusement parks and I mentioned how awesome it would be if they were open 24 hours a day. Then it occurred to me that this wouldn't be possible since the animals needed to sleep and then I thought of them trying unsuccessfully to sleep as our train shamelessly roared by.

Eventually I figured out that we were on our way to a Packers game being held at Lambeau Field. I had an extra ticket so I decided to give it to my old workmate Mike C. since he's a big fan and I haven't seen him in ages.

 Before we arrived at the game my entire family stopped off at a shopping mall which had to be accessed by going through an abandoned amusement park and I thought it might be fun to come back and take pics of all the run down amusement parks I had seen that night.

My parents went into the store while my sister and I stayed near the entrance and played vintage arcade games. One of them involved a wheel that spun around with paint stir sticks attached to it. Each stick had
a number written on it and the object was to punch off the sticks with matching numbers until all pairs were knocked off the wheel. When we got into the store I saw dad chasing around a giant squid and he was so annoyed that he couldn't catch it. It was twice the size of him but it didn't seem to deter him. Finally, one of the workers caught it and brought it over to a large pool where he seemed to enjoy
himself. He was making noises like a dolphin and his eyes were wide and smiling and no one had the heart to tell him that this pool would eventually heat up to a boiling point where he would be cooked and
eaten.

It was beautifully sad and the store employee and I stood filming it on our iphones until my phone went dead.

No comments:

Post a Comment